Hello there and thank you for stopping by today 😊 I finished a cute pair of socks this week and I just love them! First, thanks to Thing 1 for snapping pics of my socky-covered-feet, and second thanks go to the Sun for shining so beautifully for our photo shoot!
I love these bright happy colors 😊 Im calling these my Simple Ruffle Socks, and they were knit toe-up with a Turkish Cast-on, a Fish Lips Kiss Heel, and 2×2 rib for the cuff with a 2-stitch Picot Bind-off. I had dyed the main color yarn years ago, and the contrast color is leftover from another pair of socks. I actually still have a bit less than half of the skein of the contrast left! That will go in my scrappy yarn project bin and I’m super excited to know that I can get at least 3 projects out of one skein of sock yarn if I play it right. I do still have to weigh my leftover yarn to get my actual yardage used (and to know what remains) but I will update that in Ravelry later. Gotta love Ravelry for helping my yarn madness stay somewhat organized 😂.
I had wound some yarn into balls in preparation to start some stranded colorwork socks, something I haven’t tried yet, but I couldn’t make up my mind on a pattern fast enough, so I decided cast on for something else I haven’t tried yet… Afterthought Heel Socks! Okay, so yes, this means I’m going to knit another pair of basic stockinette stitch socks, but this yarn is so fun, and stockinette in the round is so soothing that I really have no complaints about it.
The yarn even matches my sock project bag! How serendipitous 😁 The main color yarn is from Cape Cod Dyeworks in colorway Dragon, and I like the way the flashing is working it’s way around the sock. It’s a fun take on “self-striping” yarn. My contrast color yarn is Sheila’s Gold Sock from Wool2Dye4, which is a favorite of mine, and I dyed it myself in a color I call Mowed Fern. It’s leftover from another pair of socks I’ve been wearing for years.
I haven’t worked a pair of socks cuff down in… well, forever. More often than not when working a cuff first, such as in mittens, hats, and obviously socks, I’d use my beloved German Twisted Cast-on. I find my hands just want to do that one without me thinking about it, and it’s usually appropriate, so I just go with it. However, I recently decided that I was falling in a bit of a rut when it comes to some of my artistic choices. It’s all fine and good to fall back on tried-and-true in my makes, but that doesn’t offer much oppertunity for growth in my skills, so I thought switching things up by using the Italian Cast-on was a smart choice. I haven’t used it in years, so it was a bit of a relearning (with a few failed starts), but once my hands found the right rhythmn it was a piece of cake.
I’m also just about to cast-on another pair of the slippers I recently gifted to S1, because her mini-me likes them and I’d like to give her her own pair.
If you are working on some fresh foot coverings, drop me a line, or even better a link, in comments so I can find them and check them out! I love being inspired by all the beautiful work of my fellow fiber artists 😊. Take care!